Monday 2 February 2015

Looking out there - Cartoon Saloon

I could say that i am rather stubborn when it comes to traveling great distances ...well...outside of Europe. Within it I have no problem. But that is because I would like to make an impact where I am. People in the animation domain would fly the Atlantic and continue their career in USA or Canada. But i see a potential here as well. The way i see it is that European animations are not as famous as American ones, but then there are studios that show that there is a possibility of showing the world that great films can come from here too.

One such studio is Cartoon Saloon.
The first animated shorts i've seen from this studio were Cúilín Dualach and Old Fangs. 
Even though i didn't really understand the first short (since it wasn't in any of the languages i spoke) i could say that it was friendly for any audience that didn't understand the language. My other interpretation is that this short is a cultural expression that encourages audiences to learn a new language. It's something i totally agree with, that's why my latest short will be in Welsh.

Old Fangs was interesting for me as well, but the animation that made the most impact for me (as well as others) was The Secret of Kells. A celtic themed story, inspired from Irish history, an animation of simple designs but all so beautiful to look at.

I am very confident the same quality is in Song of the Sea as well (their latest animated feature). I would gladly like to make such cultural inspired animations that are also an awe to look at if it means working for Cartoon Saloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment